Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Update - Monday, July 23

On Monday we went to Ruby Falls and Rock City. Ruby Falls is a tour through caverns that culminates in an underground waterfall--supposedly the largest of underground waterfalls. It was okay as far as cavern tours go. The only problem was that the only truly interesting part was the waterfall; the rest of the tour was kind of hum-hum.

We moved up Lookout Mountain to Rock City, which is a kind of ... Well, we're not sure what to call it. Terry has given the adjectives "awkward," "weird," and "fanciful." It's a designed tour up the mountain that includes a swing bridge (super cool), an underground Fairy Tale World, and lots of flowers.
Hmmm. This is definitely both weird and awkward.

Terry, Holding Up the Earth

Mom and Terry

We ended that section of the trip to the historic Cravens House. We stopped just because I wanted to take a few pictures of the Cravens House. It was taken over by the Confederates during the Civil War, and then by the Union troops during the Civil War, and back and forth for a few months.

The REAL highlight of the day was walking around Chattanooga that evening. We started off with dinner at a restaurant downtown. After, we decided to explore on foot. We saw cute shoppes, awesome architecture, fountains that you can play in (for real!), and a great walking bridge called the Walnut Street Bridge (the longest pedestrian bridge in America). We walked over the Tennessee River!
Terry in the Fountain

View from the Walking Bridge

There was also a pretty cool sculpture park outside of the Hunter Museum. To get to it, we walked over a glass bridge that went over a highway. I was fine until Terry pointed out a crack in the bridge. I found myself hoping that I had some slim chance of getting across the bridge at all. I was pretty sure it would break, and I would meet my end. But, of course, I survived. (Obviously, I'm sitting here writing to you about it.)

No comments: